Schedule for Nepal

I have arrived in the majestic and mystical kingdom of Nepal. This place is completely one of a kind. I love it here so far! It is very different than India, but has it’s similarities as well. The people are rich in culture and are extremely spiritual, mostly all are Hindu (80%) and the rest are Buddhist. There are temples and Buddhist prayer flags everywhere you look. The people are beautiful and the city of Kathmandu sits in the center of a valley surrounded by green hills leading up to the Himalayan mountain range. It is the middle of Monsoon season, actually is pouring down rain outside while I write this, so the mountains are currently in the clouds.

I am staying with one of the OC families in a very nice house in Patan (just outside Kathmandu). Today I met with a couple locals that OC partners with to reach this country. We drafted up a schedule for my month here and I am pinching myself right now because I can’t believe I get to do all of this! This is tentative and could be altered depending on weather conditions and political unrest. Elections are coming up in November and the Nepali people are very active in striking and communicating their thoughts about how government should work here. There have actually been a couple car bombs going off the past couple days. So pray for safety and that I am not in the wrong place at the wrong time!

Tomorrow I will be attending a women’s fellowship gathering for fasting and prayer from 11-1pm (that is Tuesday at 10:15pm Portland time). I will probably have the opportunity to share with the ladies, so pray for God’s words to come out and that I can be an encouragement to them. Thursday will be a day to explore the city and the famous temples and sites around Kathmandu and Patan.

Friday, September 7th I will be driving west to Pokhara. From Pokhara I will set out on a 2 day trekking adventure up the Jomsom and Annapurna Circuits by jeep, pony and on foot high into the Himalayan mountains. During this journey I will spend 2 days in Chiman at a small fellowship where there are a couple young girls my age who are interested in knowing more about Jesus. Pray that the Holy Spirit can cross cultural and language barriers and these girls can find the love of Christ! I should be able to spend time in a small house church encouraging the women and children. From there we will trek up to the medieval-looking village of Kagbeni where I will be working in a day care center for 3-6 year olds. The people here are a completely unreached group of Tibetan refugees. How cool is that?? I get to spend 4 days up in the mountains with Tibetan refugees!!! Please pray for safety and health as I travel up into these regions. I will be in high altitudes and remote villages. What an adventure of a lifetime! I will be taking a small plane down from Jomsom to return to Pokhara on the 14th (with chances to see the amazing mountains up close). Hopefully I’ll have a day of rest and relaxation in the scenic Pokhara before returning to Kathmandu. (Below is a picture of Kagbeni and then Pokhara).



On Monday, September 18th I will be heading down south for a week to Tansen and Butwal with Ramesh to see and work with the Shanti (peace) Rehabilitation ministries. This organization helps rescue women that are trafficked over the Indian border into brothels. They also have several businesses to help the women learn trades so they don’t have to sell themselves. On my way back to Kathmandu, I will get a 2 day adventure in the Chitwan Game reserve. I’ll ride on elephant into the park to see rhinos and tigers. So Cool!

My last week in Nepal will be in the city and will probably consist of volunteering at a couple orphanages and the Missionaries of Charity homes for the sick. I probably wont have Internet access while on the road, but should be able to update in between the 2 major travel weeks. Below is a picture of my new friend Makayla and I blowing bubbles. Makayla is adopted from Kolkata India, she is 3 years old and adorable. While praying for dinner tonight she stopped mid-sentence and asked if I was her "friend" so she could thank Jesus for me. Adorable!


Comments

Jacey Anne Haek said…
Precious!!! She is adorable. Erica I am so thankful that I can pray for you specifically via this blog. May the Lord bless you with His eyes and strength the entire time you are in Nepal. Love!
Anonymous said…
Hey girl! Just wanted to let you know I check up on you daily on here. I worry and think of you often as you are in a strange land with so much unknow. I have heard lots of wonderful things of Nepal from Laxman so I just know you'll have a great experience there. Take care.
Crysie

Popular Posts