The beautiful women of Nepal

Psalm 9:9-10, 18 says "The Lord will be a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble; And those who know your name will put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You....For the needy will not always be forgotten, nor the hope of the afflicted perish forever."

The women of Nepal have captured my heart. I have heard many stories about the oppression, the heartache, the difficulties of being a woman in this country is like. I've met widows and women who's husbands have left them with nothing...I've heard stories of girls being sold into slavery and small children being abused by men. These are hard things to hear, but we can not turn our eyes from the struggles of our sisters. Woman are seen as almost second class citizens here. They are subservient and don't speak out in public. The culture is very different than America, I would even say almost exactly the opposite! I had the privilege of attending a women's gathering yesterday at one of the churches close by. The 8 women that were in attendance sang praise songs and read the Psalm I quoted above. Afterwards they asked me to teach, so I talked about our worth in Christ and what a woman of God looks like. We went through Proverbs 31 and then I allowed them to ask questions afterwards. I was so surprised by their eagerness to ask and to question. As Christians, they have to transform their way of thinking. They wanted to know if God really valued women as much as I said....they find the Bible and their culture so in favor of men. It was interesting, and it was so fun to go through the Word and show them example after example of the women God used powerfully for His Glory. We then spent over an hour in prayer. Interceding with these women for their country is an experience I will never forget. They really know how to pray! In this culture everyone prays individually in unison...prayers sent up in different languages all at the same time, a very cool thing to witness!

I got a chance yesterday afternoon to shop in the market and select some fabric to make a Nepali top. I've been having a wonderful time getting to know the family I am staying with and playing with the kids. It is so amazing to be able to live alongside them and see what it is like to really live on the mission field. Today I will be getting to venture out into the city and see some of the famous temples. I'll post more this evening about the details of my 10 day trek I am leaving on tomorrow!


Comments

LegoLiams said…
Erica!
Tis truly wonderful in your sharing God's strength in these women so full of hopes and potential! I can only imagine what it is like praying with these lovely ladies with this bright new food you're helping to share with them. Such a revolutionary experience to grow from.

SR tonight was filled with heart-capturing slideshows and experiences from India and Zambia. There were certainly oodles of the Lord's graces and presence detailed. A welling of tears was even expressed in on touching account. Blessing it is seeing brothers and sisters grow in their Walk!

Before the SR I began the day in the Word with some good chaps at a popular cafe chain. Then I rode my bike a whole bunch up and down and around some exciting Portland hills. There was sweat on my face under the day's overcast sky, but the wind dried it pretty quickly. As my tired legs were finished, I tasted salty baseball game peanuts on my lips! Then I learned about the new sweet iPod.

Enjoy the temples and your deca-day trek. Beware of white monkeys. They're believed to guard the ancient relics for thousands of years.
Just kidding, though.

Godspeed'ja, lass!

Popular Posts