The Beautiful Zimbabwe

Our team with some of the Zim Pastors. I learned so much from these wonderful men of God!

"Then I looked again at all the acts of oppression which were being done under the sun. And behold I saw the tears of the oppressed and that they had no one to comfort them; and on the side of their oppressors was power, but they had no one to comfort them.....If you see oppression of the poor and denial of justice and righteousness in the providence, do not be shocked at the sight." Ecclesiastes 4:1, 5:8. I understand these words of King Solomon now, although they are hard to describe in a few paragraphs. Zimbabwe is a nation that has completely intrigued and fascinated me. I've learned so much about the history of the people and why they are now on the brink of total economic collapse. There is an evil under the sun that can only be explained in terms of the spiritual world. But we know that the Lord is a mighty God who saves His people. I've seen His hand and the hope and faith of His followers in Zimbabwe. I am so honored and privileged to have had this time in this country, learning from its people and seeing the beautiful land.

We had so much ease driving across the South African/Zimbabwean border, which was rare. We also had no problems with police road blocks and we didn't run out of food or fuel. Praise the Lord! His hand of protection and his divine providence followed us and met our needs in powerful ways. He is so good. I met so many wonderful Zimbabweans during my week stay. I love the people and their heart for planting churches and spreading the love of God all over the world. They are facing tough times right now, their whole way of life being more difficult than anything we ever face in America. Electricity usually came on between the hours of 1-4am. Water was shut off in the towns, so if you didn't live on a farm where you had your own bore-hole, you were facing some desperate circumstances. With the electricity and water shut offs, irrigation and businesses are closing down. Inflation has created a thriving black "informal" market. You can't purchase petrol unless you use foreign currency. This is just some of the things I witnessed. I heard many many more stories of struggle and survival. All in a country that has a stark contrast of first world and third world conditions. It was unique and unlike anything I've ever experienced, that is for sure.

Monday-Wednesday we had pastoral training conferences at a local school in Bindura (this town is about an hour north east of Harare). I was able to spend 2 of the days with about 8 women teaching through the book of Ruth. These women were church planters, pastor's wives and worship leaders. I wasn't sure how the Lord used the message He had given me, but on the last day I had a chance to spend over an hour with one of the ladies. She told me her story and how I had been an answer to prayer. Her name is Rebecka and she is a single mom of a 5 year-old beautiful boy. Her husband was murdered when he was 5 days old. She found Jesus a couple years after and is the only believer in her family. She is hungry for the word of God and a woman of prayer. Her prayer was that God would send her a single woman to teach....most of the missionaries and teachers were married or men. She had never heard the story of Ruth and of course totally related to it. WOW! It was so amazing to hear how I could have been an answer to a woman's prayer all the way across the world and used to encourage and build up a sister. God is good and my time with Rebecka was probably one of my favorite moments in Zim. After teaching then counseling Rebecka, I was tired and hot and just wanted to go home and take a nap! But this is Africa and I had a speaking engagement planned for me without notice last minute. So...instead of taking a nap I had to go to a ladies meeting and teach a room full of women that mostly spoke Shona and not English. Out of my weakness I was challenged and stretched, which is always good.

Thursday was a day of rest mostly. Myself and one of the other OC guys got to travel around the farm we were staying on with a miner from South Africa. We learned a lot about the land, how to mine for Gold and some of the issues facing this country. He took us to a lake on the edge of the 3000-acre farm and we got so lucky to see a HUGE crocodile!!! That was cool. I spent the afternoon with one of the pastor's daughters, telling them about my life story and preparing dinner. In the evening we went into town to take food and clothes to some of the women who were caring after orphans. Friday morning I got my one wish granted and took a ride on one of the horses. Friday afternoon was spent at the Hands of Hope orphanages in Harare that Solid Rock is starting to support....more on that soon.

Zimbabwe was a fruitful and refreshing time for me. I saw hippos, crocodiles and baboons. I made friendships with some beautiful brothers and sisters and heard their stories and their struggles. I was inspired and challenged, and I fell in love with Africa just a little bit more.


Kids praying at an assembly at the school we did the conferences at. We blessed them with boxes full of first aid kits. That is Grace worshipping...she has a beautiful voice and heart for the Lord.

Teaching the women under the Jacaranda tree at the school.

Carrying a baby like all the African women do. She was adorable!

We did a couple visitations in the township. This woman was living in a one room house and caring for 11 orphans on her own. The baby girl she is holding in her arms is 9 months old, and dying of AIDS. It broke my heart seeing this little life, knowing it was going to end so soon. But I continue to stand in awe of these servants of Christ....devoting all to care for God's children. She is a saint. Pray for her and the children if you think of it....food is in short supply and water and electricity is hard to come by.

The wood crafts along side the highway were amazing. I saw some of the biggest carvings of heads and animals in my life! Just notice the abnormally large man in the background while I'm trying to climb that elephant.

Baobob trees are scattered all over the southern part of Zim. If you squint really closely you can see me stretching out my arms in front of this massive tree. (This tree produces cream of tarter).


LIFE ON A FARM
A few photos from my week of staying on a farm in Bindura, Zimbabwe.....

This is Joyce....She really took me for a ride, galloping around the tree-filled farm.

Avril and Trish...my beautiful sisters in Christ. I love these girls!!! They were full of personality!
Learning how to make sadza on the fire. The electricity was usually off, so we had to make most of the meals over fire. It was HOT!
Trying to learn how to be an African Woman....carrying water on my head. It is a lot harder then it looks.

I couldn't even get the big jug on my head it was so heavy...so they gave me something a little easier to try....I still couldn't do it. Maybe I'm not that African after all.

2 of the 4 LARGE dogs on the farm.

Zimbabwe at Sunset..... African beauty is beyond compare. The rolling thunder and electric lightening storms are bigger than anything I've ever heard and seen. God never fails to paint the sky vibrant shades of orange, purple and blue at sun down. The wildlife and the trees are sculpted to perfection. This is creation in it's purest form....it's breath-taking.....


There is actually a wild hippo in this river, it's in the reflection of the trees...but it was just down the street from one of the farms.
This one was actually in the northern part of South Africa on the drive home.

Comments

Dan said…
Maiti Bosa... Maaikadi... Only phrases I remember from Zim trip in '96. Hey did you know that 80% of single missionaries are woman? The reason given for this is that they are 'emotionally independant'?! Sounds like you, amazing creative adventurous woman! Stoked to hear of your JOY in being amongst the world's poor. THere are about 50 more countries very similar in conditions to Zim in Africa. Congo is as bad if not worse, live expectancy is 37. Just came back from MissionsFest Seattle, had a booth did a workshop, thought of you and wished I could've invited you to join me. See ya in a month kid...

Popular Posts