South African culture
I've had an amazing last couple days in Joburg. Last night my new friend Marci and I went to dinner at a yummy Indian food restaurant and then out to a show called Umoja. Umoja means "spirit of togetherness" in Zulu. It was pretty much the coolest thing I've ever seen. Dancing, singing, African drums, customs....it was basically Africa meets Broadway. I wish I could have videoed it and posted the show for you all to see. The story line was the history of music in South Africa, ranging from bushmen, through apartheid, gospel music, all the way to modern music of Joburg. I loved every second of it!
Today I did some last minute shopping around with Dan and Janell. I did laundry and spent about 2 hours trying to pack up all the stuff I've collected along the way. I've seemed to added about 25 lbs. since leaving Portland. I had to buy one of those cheesy Africa plastic zip backs as an extra suitcase to throw my clothes in. Yep, I think I'm becoming more and more African as the days go on. I currently am trying to digest the most exotic meal I've ever had. A bunch of us went out to dinner at the very touristy "Carnivore" restaurant. They slice fun meat right on to your plate until you tell them you can't eat anymore. I had pork, lamb, Kudu meatballs, Kudu sausage, Blesbock, Ostrich, Sable, Warthog, and even Crocodile all in the same night!!! The crocodile actually surprised me, it was pretty tasty! Well, I'm off to bed to get one last night of sleep in South Africa. I'm headed to Uganda tomorrow...I'll post some more info about that before I leave.
:)Erica

Yes I think I've had enough meat for the day thank you. And don't I make a lovely African tribesman?
Today I did some last minute shopping around with Dan and Janell. I did laundry and spent about 2 hours trying to pack up all the stuff I've collected along the way. I've seemed to added about 25 lbs. since leaving Portland. I had to buy one of those cheesy Africa plastic zip backs as an extra suitcase to throw my clothes in. Yep, I think I'm becoming more and more African as the days go on. I currently am trying to digest the most exotic meal I've ever had. A bunch of us went out to dinner at the very touristy "Carnivore" restaurant. They slice fun meat right on to your plate until you tell them you can't eat anymore. I had pork, lamb, Kudu meatballs, Kudu sausage, Blesbock, Ostrich, Sable, Warthog, and even Crocodile all in the same night!!! The crocodile actually surprised me, it was pretty tasty! Well, I'm off to bed to get one last night of sleep in South Africa. I'm headed to Uganda tomorrow...I'll post some more info about that before I leave.
:)Erica
Yes I think I've had enough meat for the day thank you. And don't I make a lovely African tribesman?
Comments