Last days in Uganda

Friday was the last day for the women’s conference. Karen taught on Luke 8 about faith and trust in Christ. A couple of the women gave their testimonies and we had a great time of fellowship. We spent a while praying for the women and this was probably my breaking point. I listened to woman after woman pour their hearts out and share their burdens. I wanted to weep with each one of them as they confessed sins, forgave people they had been harboring anger and bitterness against, and rededicated their lives to Christ. I was amazed at their transparency and the heaviness that these ladies carry around every day of their lives. They asked us some tough questions and we shared more of our difficulties and the trials that God has brought us through. After the ladies broke out in cheers as a light went off….they realized that us women in America were just like them! We experienced death, heartache, pain and disappointment. We connected and I think we broke down many walls and stereotypes Africans have about Americans. It was definitely a special time for all of us.

Saturday I actually wasn’t feeling well so I spent a day resting in bed and hanging around the hotel. I actually feel pretty overwhelmed at this point in my trip with all I’ve seen and all I’ve learned. You can pray for my ability to process through the mass amount of new ideas, concepts and sights that I’ve been exposed to. Gulu is probably the poorest and most needy place I’ve been to so far. It really affects you when you see hundreds of kids running around with only rags. All the kids have open wounds on their legs and mud covered feet. The stories you hear are heart breaking, you really just want to sit down and cry with the people. The horror that the LRA has caused in this area is obvious. The people are fearful. But there are amazing stories too and the love of Christ has really been poured out on these people. The RSA team has been nothing short of fantastic. I’ve seen servant hood and selflessness in the people I’m serving alongside. I feel truly blessed to be here at this moment.

Sunday morning we were in church again. I went to Abundant Life church in Opit refugee camp (the same camp we’ve been doing the medical clinics at). It was a small hut with about 50 people (including kids) in attendance. It was a cool thing to experience. Tonight was the last festival and there was a great turn out. Thousands have found the light and love of Christ during this past week. Praise God for all He has done here! We’ll be heading out at 7am to drive to our safari tomorrow morning. Pray for safety on the roads and for sad goodbyes. I do love Uganda, but I am definitely ready for the beaches of Kenya!!!!

Comments

Dan said…
Its seems God is revealing much of what His Heart is for Africa to you and what it takes to serve these precious people for the rest of your life; whether he gives you the gift of long-term or continues blessing you with short-term opportunities!! Spending 12hrs at the Missions today, serving the "least of these" in downtown Portland. What a Great GIFT eh?!
Shane said…
Very nice blog Erica. Your parents should be very proud of you and what you are doing.
I'm a friend of your dad's
Shane Stewart
http://thequietpool.blogspot.com/

Popular Posts