Update from Ethiopia

Yesterday we spend the morning at the Rehabilitation center. This is a government home where kids that have done something “bad” or gotten in trouble go to be disciplined. It was actually a really cool concept. The children learn valuable skills like wood-shop, metal shop, sewing, and weaving. The home has had a lack of funds, so it is pretty rundown and in need of a lot of things. We were able to purchase 100 blankets for the home to distribute as needed to the kids. We also were able to give each kid and staff member a new pair of shoes. Thank you to everyone who donated shoes…the kids felt very blessed!

Yesterday afternoon and evening we worked on painting colorful murals on all the B. Orphanage, and we had Chinese takeout! It was actually pretty good.

Today we finished painting the new B. Orphanage in Addis. The orphanage director is an amazing man of faith, relying on God to provide each day, month, and year for the children that have no homes. I was a privilege to be a part of helping them ready their new home. We may be helping the home pack up and move into the new home the last couple days of the week.

I’ve had quite the adventure the past couple days shopping around Addis for all the paint and materials that we have needed for our projects. Resourcefulness is a useful tool in Africa!

We’re looking forward to another afternoon at Hannah’s Hope (we have one more room to finish painting a mural in). And a cultural dinner tonight!

I think the highlight for me so far has been watching each team member discover themselves, learn more about the Lord, and change literally before my eyes. We had a tearful morning yesterday as we watched adoptive families bring their Ethiopian babies and toddlers back to
the hotel before flying home. It was a beautiful picture of God’s heart for adoption. As I watched the team cry, through tear filled eyes myself, I thought to myself “this is why I do this.” All the
months of planning and all the details just came together in such a wonderful way. I honestly didn’t know what to expect on this trip, but God has blown my mind away at how perfectly He planned this week, from each person He selected, to the littlest details. He is the best
planner, isn’t He?

I’m looking forward to posting some photos of the work we did once I get back into America. Internet is unpredictable and slow, so I cant do it here.

Thank you for continuing to pray for our team! We feel your prayers!

Comments

Unknown said…
Oh Erica! So glad the trip has turned out to be a blessing beyond expectation. I wish I were there! One of these times I'll go with you! He is the best planner and if we will give it up to Him, He is sure to bless us beyond belief. Thanks for blogging throughout your trip. I so enjoy reading about your journey.

Xoxo
echo
KO said…
Hi Erica,
I found your blog while googling Bethzatha Children's Home. My wife and I are in the process of adopting with AGCI. Julie is working with us. Tell her we said Hi!. We received a referral today for a sibling group at Hannah's Hope. I'm not sure if I can ask you about them or not. If so, I would love to ask a few questions of you while you are there. It is great to hear what God is doing with your team. My daughter and I spent two weeks in a Kenyan orphange last year. It was one of the best times of my life.
Blessings,
KO
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
It's so wonderful to read about your time in Ethiopia and the great work that your team is doing. We are another AGCI family, and full of anticipation for our referral soon. Thank you for stretching outside of your comfort zone, and being willing to go where He sends you.
mamatate said…
Erica,
I also found you while researching Bethzath Children's Home. We just received a refferal for a baby who came from Bethzatha to Hannah's Hope on the 10th of Feb.
Thank you and God Bless you for working in the two places our sweet little girl has been living.

Blessings to you,

Tate Lundy

Popular Posts