Bizarre days always end up memorable

So earlier I wrote about my favorite day in Africa, if that was my favorite, then yesterday would have to be one of my most bizarre. The day started out at 5:30am as we rushed to the airport to make our early flight to Mekele. Only to find out that our flight had been delayed 3 hours. One delay turned into another, and finally we ended up merging onto another flight stopping in Lalibela first and arriving in our destination 6 hours later then expected. It was an interesting adventure to say the least. Our plane was full of Ethiopian government officials making their way to Mekele to celebrate the Tigray region's 35th birthday. Apparently this is a big deal.

Once we arrived to the town, we were met by the Doctor and another AGCI employee in the region. We were met by crowds of village people carrying walking sticks and flags, parading down the long China road entering into town for the celebration. It was one of the craziest things I've ever seen. I think only photos will be able to describe it well. If the people weren't so friendly i might have been a bit suspicious that the crowds were going to overtake our jeep. but instead, they just all cheered, smiled, and waived as we drove by.

The 60 km drive to Samra was breathtaking. Rolling hills and plateaus, cactus, camels, livestock and shepherds at every turn. I thought I had driven into the pages of the old testament. We passed 7 different kinds of animals: dogs, goats, sheep, lamb, cattle, oxen, donkey, and camels. I just about freaked out when I saw camels in the wild. I'd only seen them before for tourist attractions. We saw a bus hit a donkey on the road and a crowd of people standing by.

Once we hit Samra, we stopped and interviewed several of the families AGCI sponsors. It was awesome to actually see in person how the organization I work for is making a difference. We really liked Samra, it was simple, friendly, and untouched by American tourism. Tyler thinks he wants to spend a couple years of his retirement there. We watched the sunset over the mountains as our jeep traveled back to Mekele along the bumpy dirt road.

Today we will be a full day. Visiting the Hospital project, seeing AGCI's northern office, the women's project...oh and a whole host of festival celebrations marking this holiday. Looking forward to what today will bring.

Comments

Popular Posts