Mekelle update

Yesterday we spent a majority of the day with the women in the Women's project that AGCI supports in Mekelle. What a joy these women are! Our first visit was to the second salon launched by 4 of the girls in our women's sponsorship program. With the money that AGCI provided for start up costs, these women have opened a salon and started working on building up their clientele. The women washed my hair and then put it in curlers. I've never had so much volume before! The second salon was a riot. There were 4 girls in this salon, which was the first one that was launched by AGCI sponsorship funds. At this salon I got an Ethiopian-style braided hairdo. For those of you that watch So You Think You Can Dance, I looked like Sophie the choreographer w/ the Mohawk. Eden, the head stylist was a hoot! She as full of personality…I told her she was the salon comedian. I taught them a new English word. :)

Next door to the second salon we visited is a bakery that 5 of the women AGCI’s supported have started a business. They make Injera and Ambasha, the local bread. It was wonderful hearing each woman’s story, where they came from and what their dreams are. Many of the girls actually came from a home in town that the Doctor took us to visit. The man that runs this home is a born again Christian and he started the home 10 years ago. He teaches the children valuable life skills and works with the community to find employment for them.

This morning we boarded a plane back to Addis and spent the majority of the day at Hannah’s Hope. We went to the Mother Theresa home in the afternoon. Tomorrow will be more Hannah’s Hope and then Bekele is going to teach me how to make Shiro!!! Shiro is one of my favorite Ethiopian dishes. Basically it is like a curry type sauce that you eat with Injera…Yummy!

Here’s a couple interesting facts…

1)I saw 5 camels during our time in Mekelle.
2)The President and Prime Minister of Ethiopia were on my plane this morning, as well as all the other important government officials.
3)It is actually 2002 in Ethiopia. Their calendar year has 13 months, the 13th month has 5 days in it. So it’s like I’m 21 again!
4)Ethiopia keeps time in the Orthodox way, so 6am our time is actually the 1st hour. What we would consider 6pm is actually 12pm (the 12th hour of the day).
5)They make really amazing Honey in Ethiopia.

Comments

Dan said…
I wrote you back with the names of those two children. Let me know if you need me to send again. Sounds like a great trip so far... enjoy!

Popular Posts