Lessons in Trust

I was thinking on my way to work this morning about my job and how crazy it seems that I am actually doing something I am passionate about in my life at my age. Ten, five, three-years ago even I wouldn't have guessed. No way would I have thought "I'm going to travel around the world, taking groups of people to serve orphans in need." Yeah, never.

When I think of what the Lord has asked me to do, I can't help but feel like this is an impossible task! How could God have asked ME of all people to do this... to take willing servants to places I've never even been before. But they go, by Faith, trusting in the One that has called them to GO.

I've learned a lot about trust over the past 3 years. I've learned that putting my faith in a God that I can't see is hard. I so often want to take this assignment He has given me and take control and grip the responsibility with my own hands. In my flesh I want to make sure that everyone that is traveling with me and everyone that is being served in-country are having an amazing, life-changing, positive, fruitful experience. But is that prideful? I think so. It isn't about people's comfort or whether or not they like the hotel I picked out or the work project we went to do. It's about Jesus being glorified. I've learned that in order for Jesus to be most glorified in me is to completely place my trust in Him to take care of every aspect of a trip, down to the tiniest detail. Pray that this is true of my next assignment this spring!

I learned this lesson already once this year in Ethiopia. As I am about to embark on yet another journey to 2 new countries I've never been, with volunteers I'm responsible to lead, I face this difficult struggle to "grip" and not hand over the control and trust in the Lord that has called us to go. I want to make sure everything is just right, that the teams are as well prepared as possible, and I am fully researched up on the culture. I don't think these are bad things in themselves, but rather great things. What I need to do now is trust God with the rest. I need to trust Him if our work project changes, or a bag goes missing, or a team member gets sick. I can't control the outcome of a couple weeks invested in a foreign country. But if I've really been watching and listening these past 3 years, then I would know that I don't need to control, because no matter what you go to do, if you go out of obedience to the Lord, in Jesus' name...He will be glorified, lives will be changed, and a little bit of the Kingdom will come crashing down on earth. It happens every time. It's why I love my job. :)

On April 23rd I will be flying to Beijing, China to work at an orphanage called Grace Minority. This home cares for minority children and children with developmental delays. It's an awesome ministry that I can't wait to actually see in person! Our team has prepared a VBS on the life of Joseph to share with the children. We'll also be visiting a house church and helping with some painting projects. Watch the video below to find out more about the home!

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3922080/10670161?v=3922080

After China, I will be heading to Taiwan, where I will meet up with another team of volunteers (several of them co-workers), to set up our very first Hannah's Hope home in Taiwan! What is so cool about this trip is that I've been able to travel to Guatemala and Ethiopia to see Hannah's Hope homes already in operation. They are AMAZING. The very BEST in orphan care I've ever seen, hands down! The homes are beautiful. And now I get to have the privilege to be a part of setting a home up. The best part is that my mom will be traveling with me! After watching, supporting, and praying for me the past 5 years, my mom has finally felt the call to JOIN me. This will be a special time for the two of us.

I'll be updating on a more regular basis during these trips, so come back often! I'd appreciate prayer as we go. Pray above all that the Lord would be glorified in EVERYTHING that we do!

Comments

Popular Posts