To Africa Again


I just finished watching the movie “Sometimes in April,” one of the most powerful portrayals of the 1994 Rwandan genocide I’ve seen. As I watched I couldn’t help but feel the pain and the sadness and the fear that the Rwandans went through during that unfortunate April. Even though the events took place over 16 years ago, I am certain the scars are still very visible today. As I go to Rwanda in a couple weeks, I wonder what I can offer these people that have experienced so much tragedy and loss. Would a hug or smile or an “I care about you” wipe away the continued tears, the continued sorrow of loved ones that have been gone for so long? How do I even begin to understand the stain on this country’s past or the memories so many probably live with still today? 

Rwanda will be the 7th country I travel to in what people often refer to as the Dark Continent. Two distinct thoughts come to my mind when I think about Africa….the fondness I have for the people I have met, those rare Christ-like saints that are pouring themselves out like a drink offering on behalf of others…..and the disdain I have for what I would describe as the devil’s most horrendous work, rendering it’s name “the Dark Continent.”  I truly believe the best and the worst can be found within these borders. Africa truly is the devil’s playground, and he had his heyday in Rwanda that April.

At the end of this tragic genocide in 1994, our government apologized, stating that the entire international community had failed the Rwandans. Many criticized the powers to be that the reason we chose not to intervene was because it was Africa, and we had no personal interest or gain in stepping in. I’ve found it interesting to watch as people talk about Africa. It’s a “word” that doesn’t really need a definition. Instantly images pop up into your head when you hear the word “Africa”…. AIDS, disease, malaria, poverty, children with malnutrition, dirt, tribalism, war…. These are the ideas that surround this continent and it can’t seem to escape them. But one word I don’t hear very often when people describe Africa is “resilient.” That is how I would describe the Africans I’ve met. Yes they have endured some of the most horrific events in human history, yes they continue to live in the most extreme situations of poverty, yes they are affected by disease and death practically every day of their lives….but this has made them a most resilient people.

This is what I expect to find in Rwanda. A people that have gone through more then any of us could ever imagine…but have gotten back up, have pressed forward, and still live with love and joy and forgiveness. I look forward to going and seeing these beautiful people, to hear their stories of difficulties and joys and learning how to forgive and move forward.

I leave October 13th and will be traveling in Rwanda until Oct. 28th, and then off to Ethiopia October 28th-November 14th. Prayers are appreciated, as we lead teams to serve the orphans and children of these countries. Keep following for updates and prayer requests during the month!

Comments

Popular Posts