Going back to Africa....
Yep, I'm going back to Africa.
Last time I went I returned to America thinking "If I never go back to that Continent, I'll be fine." I know, it's so pessimistic, which really isn't a characteristic of mine. But it has reason behind it that comes from experience, and probably a lot of immaturity on my part.
This time I am going for work, and to a country I've never been, Ethiopia. I've seen hundreds of photos, heard many stories, and babysat kiddos that have been adopted from this country. I am more excited then I originally anticipated, which actually surprises me. It must be because I'm traveling along with about 15 other people that are quiet a remarkable group. I haven't met them all yet, but I've had many email and phone conversations that give me an eager anticipation to see how God will use each of them.
Our pastor, John Mark, gave a great message last Friday at our College group's (The Way) last night together. After 5+ years of thousands of young adults meeting together to worship on Friday nights, we say goodbye. This isn't a sad goodbye, but rather an exciting parting...because God is on the move in our city. Our church is planting a campus right down in the heart of Downtown Portland....which most people would say is insane. See, Portland is one of the most liberal, pagan, tolerance-rules city in the country. It's been labeled the "church planters graveyard." But that isn't stopping us from answering God's call to "GO into all the world."
I give you this background because John Mark said something on Friday that had so much truth and weight behind it. He said that every believer will come to a place in their life where they have to make a choice. A choice to live the comfortable easily life, or the choice to live for the Kingdom. And with the choice to live for the Kingdom, comes a death to self. I was talking with a co-worker about this moment in our own lives. How it didn't come easily per say, it was agonizing, knowing that I was putting myself aside and following Christ, wherever that may be. This is a tough choice to make, but the right choice.
A Leeland song keeps playing in my head this week called "Follow You." Some of the lyrics are below:
And I will follow you into the homes that are broken.
Follow you into the world.
Meet the needs for the poor and the needy God.
Follow you into the world.
Use my hands, use my feet
To make your kingdom come
Through the corners of the earth
Until your work is done.
"Cause faith without works is dead
And on the cross your blood was shed
So how could I not give it away so freely?
I give all myself.
I give all myself.
I give all myself...to You.
I gave myself to Jesus. And that giving requires sacrifice and it requires a death to self. It means I will follow Him wherever He sends me, even if that is back to a place I personally would choose not to go back to. It means bringing love into the dark corners of the world, into the broken places, the needy places.
Ethiopia is one of those places. With over 5 million orphans in one country alone, this land has seen it's share of death and suffering. From unspeakable droughts, to war, this country has been broken. So I go, laying aside all my preconceived ideas about Africa, and follow Jesus into the unknown.
**I would love for you to join our team in prayer. We depart the US on February 5th. The team will return on Feb. 14th, I will return on Feb. 21st. I'll continue to update you with prayer needs as time gets closer and during the trip.


Photos by David Uttly.
Last time I went I returned to America thinking "If I never go back to that Continent, I'll be fine." I know, it's so pessimistic, which really isn't a characteristic of mine. But it has reason behind it that comes from experience, and probably a lot of immaturity on my part.
This time I am going for work, and to a country I've never been, Ethiopia. I've seen hundreds of photos, heard many stories, and babysat kiddos that have been adopted from this country. I am more excited then I originally anticipated, which actually surprises me. It must be because I'm traveling along with about 15 other people that are quiet a remarkable group. I haven't met them all yet, but I've had many email and phone conversations that give me an eager anticipation to see how God will use each of them.
Our pastor, John Mark, gave a great message last Friday at our College group's (The Way) last night together. After 5+ years of thousands of young adults meeting together to worship on Friday nights, we say goodbye. This isn't a sad goodbye, but rather an exciting parting...because God is on the move in our city. Our church is planting a campus right down in the heart of Downtown Portland....which most people would say is insane. See, Portland is one of the most liberal, pagan, tolerance-rules city in the country. It's been labeled the "church planters graveyard." But that isn't stopping us from answering God's call to "GO into all the world."
I give you this background because John Mark said something on Friday that had so much truth and weight behind it. He said that every believer will come to a place in their life where they have to make a choice. A choice to live the comfortable easily life, or the choice to live for the Kingdom. And with the choice to live for the Kingdom, comes a death to self. I was talking with a co-worker about this moment in our own lives. How it didn't come easily per say, it was agonizing, knowing that I was putting myself aside and following Christ, wherever that may be. This is a tough choice to make, but the right choice.
A Leeland song keeps playing in my head this week called "Follow You." Some of the lyrics are below:
And I will follow you into the homes that are broken.
Follow you into the world.
Meet the needs for the poor and the needy God.
Follow you into the world.
Use my hands, use my feet
To make your kingdom come
Through the corners of the earth
Until your work is done.
"Cause faith without works is dead
And on the cross your blood was shed
So how could I not give it away so freely?
I give all myself.
I give all myself.
I give all myself...to You.
I gave myself to Jesus. And that giving requires sacrifice and it requires a death to self. It means I will follow Him wherever He sends me, even if that is back to a place I personally would choose not to go back to. It means bringing love into the dark corners of the world, into the broken places, the needy places.
Ethiopia is one of those places. With over 5 million orphans in one country alone, this land has seen it's share of death and suffering. From unspeakable droughts, to war, this country has been broken. So I go, laying aside all my preconceived ideas about Africa, and follow Jesus into the unknown.
**I would love for you to join our team in prayer. We depart the US on February 5th. The team will return on Feb. 14th, I will return on Feb. 21st. I'll continue to update you with prayer needs as time gets closer and during the trip.



Photos by David Uttly.
Comments