Where does it say "safe" in the Bible?

I returned home last week from traveling around New York and Pennsylvania for All God’s Children. We had several events planned…fundraising events, networking BBQ’s, Picnics… I had an amazing time meeting families from upstate New York all the way down to Maryland.

The week was a good week. I really began to see and comprehend the work that I am involved in at AGCI. I’ve now been to Guatemala 3 times, each time developing a deeper and deeper commitment to the cause of orphan care around the word. Now, after watching people from across the country come together to raise awareness, donate funds, and encourage support for orphan care….I walk away feeling a sense of complete pride in what I’m a part of. I don’t mean pride in the “bad” sense…but rather the amazing sense of gratitude that I get to be a part of what God is doing through AGCI to reach out to the fatherless. I can’t think of better way to describe it really. It’s just pretty amazing.

Two years ago, I would never have thought I would be jet-setting across the globe on a regular basis to be a voice for the millions upon millions of orphaned, abused, and forgotten children of the world. But that is exactly what God has allowed me to be a part of…and I LOVE it! I could not imagine a different way of spending my time, energy, and passion on.

As God leads AGCI to new countries to defend more children in need, I start getting that sense of excitement for what lies ahead… More crazy adventures serving my God and His kingdom on earth. Where will He send me next? I have a few ideas…but you just never know when you are walking with a bold, anything-but-safe, God.

But…..As I was sitting listening to a teaching by Josh White this past week, something really struck me. He was talking about how the appearance of caution can really be a cover or disguise for unbelief. He encouraged us to live our lives as willing servants for Christ. Willing to go and do whatever He may ask, and from a God that has never claimed to be “safe”, sometimes we just don’t know what that looks like. I started thinking to myself “well I think I’m good on this area”…I travel and have traveled to some of the most dangerous areas of the world. I know God isn’t “safe” otherwise I would never be doing what I do. However, as I started thinking more upon this as I sat in the pew listening…the Holy Spirit shook me up! “Erica, you may be willing to travel across the ocean and serve the poor in dangerous countries….but are you willing to share the gospel with your waiter in Portland? Or your massage therapist? How about your neighbor?” Oh my gosh…are you serious? Ok, so I have some soul searching to do, because being a willing servant of Christ means flying across the ocean to Africa, and it means reaching out to share Jesus with my neighbors in Portland.

This week is Seven. A full week of dedicating ourselves to prayer and fasting for revival in Portland, Oregon. I think my personal prayer this week will be to take this adventurous, willing, unsafe idea of servanthood I have about overseas ministry, and apply that to my own city. Will you join me in this prayer?

Comments

Popular Posts